ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Bourbons, Canadian, Tennessee, Collectibles and more...

Old 03-19-2016, 01:29 AM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Default Covering the bases?

Hello all:

First, I wasn't sure where to locate this thread, so my apologies of it doesn't pertain exclusively to bourbon. I've been enjoying "brown" spirits for several years now, and I'm contemplating a departure from what has up to now been my standard procedure for purchasing and drinking them. As a rule, I buy one bottle at a time, whether scotch, bourbon or occasionally brandy or other types of spirit, and finish it off within (on average) two to three weeks. Thus far, this has worked just fine, but I'm considering the option of covering all three basic categories of spirit, such that I would have three open bottles going at any given time. I'm estimating that this approach would result in any one bottle lasting longer, say, a couple of months or more. I'm attracted to this idea since it would allow the enjoyment of a broader range of brown spirits, and I've enough experience of them to suggest that I much prefer them to the likes of gin, vodka, etc.

Has anyone else adopted this particular approach to their spirit consumption? (I fully expect the answer will be "YES!!") Please share your thoughts and ideas, thanks!
Old 03-19-2016, 12:36 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

I've got about 40 bottles and some of them have been with me for as long as three years now.
When I decide I'd like a sip I think about my options and sometimes even go with whatever someone has just written about in a thread.

One of my all time go-to drinks is the Ardbeg 10, which is always good, and Balvenie 15, and Taketsuru 17...
Old 03-19-2016, 11:06 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

I don't have a bar as such, just part of a shelf in a small pantry closet. Typical for me is to have 2 to 5 bottles on hand, with 2 or 3 open. Never had more than 4 open at a time. Currently, I'm at 4 bottles, all open, all single malt Scotch. 2 of them are nearing empty.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:49 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Yeah, I don't have a bar either and sometimes I can't even find the bottle I'm looking for!

One good thing about whisky; having the bottle open doesn't seem to hurt it at all and my Corryvreckan still tastes great after over 2 years of being open.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:30 AM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Well, following up on my original post, I'm thinking this experiment is working out pretty successfully: of four bottles I've opened since early March (a single malt, a cask strength bourbon and two Irish whiskies), each one has lasted longer while competing with the others than a single bottle would have done by itself. A couple of these have lasted nearly a month. This rate of consumption stands in comparison to my fairly amphibious average of about two weeks for a single bottle. My most rapidly disappearing bottle to date was a Grand MacNish blended scotch, which was gone in five days , a feat having more to do with late summer heat-induced boredom than with the quality of the spirit, which wasn't great, to put it kindly. (I hope never to experience this rate of imbibulation again .)
Old 11-27-2017, 04:08 AM
ClubWhisky.com Member

[Revisiting my above post, a year-and-a-half on]...I'm reinforced in my thoughts on bottles: I've currently got three open: a malt, a bourbon and a rye. The bourbon and rye have been open for about a month, the malt a bit longer. They're all down about a half to two-thirds, by less volume than any one of them alone would have been (a single bottle would be gone by now). I am rotating my tipples between the three and having them compete, making each last longer. Obvious and elementary, I know, but useful nonetheless. Thanks for reading, to anyone who cares .