ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Bourbons, Canadian, Tennessee, Collectibles and more...

Old 08-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Whisky.com Member

Default 1895 (Original Full/Sealed) Jack Daniels Bottle

I have recently been given the task of selling off a very large collection of wine and liquor. This collection was inherited by a friend of mine. This cellar was built in the late 1800's and contains bottles from the early 1800's to the late 1920's. The contents of this cellar are some of the most rare wines and liquors to be found anywhere.

While I was inventorying this cellar I found a bottle of 1895 Jack Daniels. The bottle is full and completely sealed. This might be one of the only or only bottle in existence. I was hoping that you might know where I could sell this bottle. Due to the bottles rarity, my first thought was to offer it to the Jack Daniels company or affiliates as it is an historic item and I believe they should have the first opportunity. However, if they are not interested then I would be willing to sell it to a collector.

The entire cellar consists of bottles of Haut Brion 1881, 1884, Napoleon 1811 cognac, pre-ban absinthe, 1800's whiskey's etc. I have agreed to sell all of the contents of this cellar as I have been an avid wine collector for more than 20 years and the people who inherited this collection do not understand the collectablility and value of items as rare as these. Any assistance you could provide me would be greatly appreciated. I have attached photos of the bottle for your review. This bottle has several bubbles in the glass. The No 7 in the center of the bottle does not have a circle around it, so it is one of the first test bottles that was created and marketed before the actual label design was decided upon and put into general production in 1895. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Patrick

P.S. I also attached a general photo of many of the other bottles from this cellar so you could get an idea of how many 1800's bottles there actually are.
Attached Thumbnails
1895 Front of bottle.jpg   1895 Jack Daniels base.jpg   1800's liquors.jpg   Jack Daniels top label.jpg   Jack Daniels 1895 009.jpg  

Last edited by pcruise; 08-06-2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: more discription
Old 08-07-2012, 03:02 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Seeing what we can find out on this one - and our Jack Daniel's expert is likely to chime in. Thanks for the photos!
Old 08-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Whisky.com Member

Default 1895 Jack Daniels

JoJo,

Thanks for that. I was of the understanding that from 1895-1904 JD didn't use paper labels. I thought that in 1904 they started with the green label?

Also, as you can see, this bottle doesn't have the circle around the No 7. This, from my research, indicated that it was the test bottle released in 1895 for a short period of time to guage the publics interest in the bottle design and shape. Therefore, this bottle would only have been in production for a limited time, say a few months or so.

Based on this information, the bottle could be the only one of its kind to have surfaced intact and fully sealed. I greatly appreciate your assistance with this. My desire is for this bottle to go to a serious collector who knows and appreciates the bottles rarity and historic value. Any further info would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick
Old 08-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Whisky.com's Jack Daniel's Expert

Hi Patrick,

You have been well informed about this bottle.
Indeed it's 1895 Clear glass cork finished quart square bottle. Before they (Jack Daniels) desided to use the square bottles they made a few test bottles. To be honest, I have never seen them full and sealed. A real beauty !!!
I know the empty ones go for aprox $280,- / $300,-

Is there "one quart" mentioned on the back side of the bottle ???

I will see if I can get a little more info.

Cheers,

Edwin
Old 08-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Whisky.com Member

Edwin,

Thanks for the reply. Yes the back say One Quart. I thought you could see it in one of the pictures if you blow them up. The bottle is in very good shape. The fill is very high in the bottle and the liquid is bright and clear. There is a very small bit of sediment in the bottom, but I think this is to be expected.

The color of this whiskey is very, very dark. It is much darker than what a newer bottle would be. I believe it also is very, very rare. I have received some offers on the bottle from collectors and the price is multiple thousands. Any further info you might obtain would be great.

Thank You,
Patrick
Old 08-08-2012, 02:56 PM

Patrick,

Altough this is really a beautiful bottle, it is not 100% mint.
The side of the bottle you show on the picture is actually the back side.
On the side where the "one quart" is mentioned should or could have been a labels stuck to the bottle. Not 100% sure but about it but that's the latest info I have got (attached a 1895 bottle circle around the "old no 7".

Once again, a beautiful historical piece !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_5977.JPG   DSC_5978.JPG  
Old 08-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Whisky.com Member

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I notice that you say it could have had a label. I would love to know if they all did or not? The one thing I notice other than the circle around the No 7 is that the bottle I have does not have any seams on the bottle.

To be more specific, the bottle I have has no identifiable seams running from the top of the neck to the base of the bottle. In the photo of your bottle that you attached there is a seam that runs all along the side from top to base. Can you notice this seam?

I don't know if that might indicate a bottle made after or later than the one I have? With this seam on the bottle, it may be indicative of a later made bottle. Any further info would be great. Thanks very much for all you help

Patrick
Old 08-08-2012, 03:35 PM

Patrick,

Is it possible to put a more clear picture on this forum of the sides of the bottle so I can check the seams ??

It should look like attached

Cheers,

Edwin
Attached Thumbnails
1895_test_top.jpg  
Old 08-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Whisky.com Member

Edwin,

I attached an additional 5 photos. I hope they will more clearly show the edges of the bottle. I took one from the top down, one from the side and a few from the base view.

I hope these will help you further. Thanks again for your assistance. Edwin, I tried to respond to your mail but it would not allow me to contact you. If you would like to contact me you can reach me at 774-296-5563.

Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
jack daniels 004.jpg   jack daniels 008.jpg   jack daniels 010.jpg   jack daniels 009.jpg   jack daniels 007.jpg  

Last edited by pcruise; 08-08-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:15 PM

Thanks Patrick,

My research continues !!

Cheers
Edwin

Last edited by Raapio; 08-08-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:22 AM
Whisky.com Member

Default Still active?

I was wandering if this thread was still active.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 AM

I learned that the bottle was sold. So I guess this thread is closed

Tags
jack daniels