ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > Trading Post

Old 01-11-2014, 02:52 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Default James E Pepper 15 YO...

Just purchased some James E Pepper 15 YO straight bourbon. Just wondering if anyone has sampled this and your thoughts...
Old 01-11-2014, 04:11 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Absolutely love it! Floral, sweet, spice... think banana nut bread topped with hot carmel, melted vanilla ice cream and cinnamon spice, served not on a plate but on flower petals.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:12 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Default Jame E Pepper 15 YO...

Thank You! Your description certainly heightens my enthusiasm in opening the bottle. I appreciate you taking the time to respond...
Old 01-11-2014, 07:28 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neat65 View Post
Thank You! Your description certainly heightens my enthusiasm in opening the bottle. I appreciate you taking the time to respond...
No problem and Thank You! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and congrats on picking up a fine bottle of bourbon!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Whisky.com Member

I've seen both positive and very negative reviews of this expression. The thing to remember is that this is a sourced bourbon from LDI so some batch variation is to be expected. For me, even though I don't doubt other's positive reviews like the one above, it's too much risk to assume for the $150 price tag, which is what it sells for here. If I knew I had a bottle from the same batch I'd be tempted, but without that I'll pass.

With all that said, I hope your bottle is as good as donmorgan's.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:07 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

The 15 year old bourbon releases were also a one time thing. They will release other expression but, the 15 year old is gone. What's on the shelves is it, so if you like it you might want to pick up more ..
Old 01-12-2014, 06:33 AM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Surely Sverrefehn is correct in batches and individual taste.. However, it should be easy for most to distinguish a quality dram from one thats not, even if they personally do not enjoy the profile. I am not a fan of vodka but, I know a quality vodka from one thats not when it hits my nose or palate, regardless if I personally like the taste or profile. Beyond that, we have to deal with the psychology involved.

Here is a little fun blind tasting I found including James E Pepper.

Alton Browns Podcast
Quote:
In his most recent episode he interviewed Julian Van Winkle (well worth the listen) and held a blind taste test with a friend after the interview. Alton selected 5 Bourbons from his collection and poured each Bourbon in an identical glass. They bounce around a little during the Bourbon review portion but I have tried to accumulate the majority of the tasting notes. Make sure to listen to the podcast first because I will reveal the results of the Bourbon tasting in this post.

Below are the results of the Bourbon tasting:

Mystery Dram # 1
Woody, oak, not as smooth with a little more burn. A little more of a rye mix than #4

Mystery Dram #2
smokey, peaty, scotch. Sweet spice kind of like a ginger cookie.

Mystery Dram #3
Smell is similar to #5. Sweeter, smoother, fuller. Excites the mouth. Spicy but mellow. Woody but not over powering

Mystery Dram #4
No real aroma. Sweet, smooth. Nice. Smooth with a little bit of spice

Mystery Dram #5
Darker fuller more saturated in color. Warmness without the burn.

Blind Bourbon Tasting Rank:

Bourbons Revealed:

# 1 Elijah Craig 20 Year ($140)
Woody, oak, not as smooth with a little more burn. A little more of a rye mix than #4

#2 Hudson Baby Bourbon ($45 375 ml)
smokey, peaty, scotch. Sweet spice kind of like a ginger cookie.

#3 James E. Pepper 1776 15 Year ($115)
Smell is similar to #5. Sweeter, smoother, fuller. Excites the mouth. Spicy but mellow. Woody but not over powering

#4 W.L. Well 12 Year ($25)
No real aroma. Sweet, smooth. Nice. Smooth with a little bit of spice

#5 Old Rip Van Winkle ($40 if you are the chosen one and find at retail)
Darker fuller more saturated in color. Warmness without the burn.

Last edited by donmorgan; 01-12-2014 at 07:05 PM.