ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > Whisky Bottle Date & Other Information Requests

Old 04-21-2017, 10:12 AM

Default Help dating bottle of King George IV Old Scotch Whisky

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, this being my first post, so please treat me gently. I was given a bottle of King George IV Old Scotch Whisky by a friend in his mid-seventies. The bottle was apparrently his father's before him, who had it for some decades himself. I am hoping there are members who are able to assist me in dating the bottle, and perhaps giving me an idea of its worth. I have searched this forum, and also scoured the Internet for information, but I cannot find any details on this particular bottle which also appears to be a different shape to most other KG IV bottles, especially in the neck, which has straight sides, not the normal convex shape. I have attached photos; I hope they are sufficiently helpful. Thank you, Chauncey. (Oh, can't seem to be able to attach the photos; not really following the instructions on this).
Old 04-21-2017, 11:45 AM

Default Photos now added

Ok, now realise can only add photos after the initial post. Strange, but anyway, hope I have suceeded this time. Chauncey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1954.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	2522   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1956.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	2523   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1957.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	2524   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1959.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	2525   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1960.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	2526  

Old 04-21-2017, 05:44 PM
Johnnie Walker Expert

Hi, based on these labels and closure the bottle looks to be from the mid 1950s-early 1960s. This is a bottle for the Australian market, bottled locally. Am not sure if the white dots marking "55" are a year stamp but they fit the bottle and label date.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:54 AM

Default Keep, or enjoy?

Thanks fransodk. Sorry for the delayed acknowledgement, I do appreciate your very helpful information. Is this a collectable bottle worth something, or should I enjoy it instead?
Thanks, Chauncey.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:29 AM
Johnnie Walker Expert

Certainly collectable for many. Depends on what you think is worthwhile though!
Old 05-09-2017, 04:46 PM

Hi again fransodk,

Was just reading your post again, and wondered about your comment that it was bottled locally. I assume you mean bottled in Australia. Just wondering how you know that, as I can't find any history referring to it being actually bottled here. Thanks so much
Old 05-09-2017, 05:06 PM
Johnnie Walker Expert

The neck label reads "Bottled in bond under supervision of the commonwealth customs" - other labels read "distilled and matured in Scotland". bottles which were bottled in Scotland will usually say so on the label. So the whisky was matured in Scotland, then transferred in bulk to Australia, and bottled there. This was to do with local taxes and import duties
Old 05-09-2017, 05:26 PM

Wow, that was a quick response. Thanks so much for the well-reasoned explanation.